Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How Murphy's Law Rules My Life, Part 8,237 (approximately)...

I have always been under the sway of the good Captain's eponymous law, and today was no different. I have been going to the doctor for effects of my prostate cancer surgery a year ago (I will tell THAT story another day). I had an appointment one week ago, and had to follow it up today. Naturally, I made the appointment last week for 1:30 this afternoon. Even though I usually have to wait some, I came ten minutes early, settled down with my book ("The Origin of Species", brilliant, and more to say on that later), and waited. And waited. And waited. Someone came out to announce that one of the doctors was dealing with an emergency, he would be delayed, but thank you for waiting. It wasn't my doc, so I didn't pay much attention. About an hour after my appointment time, one of the medical assistants called me in and put me in a room. She checked my chart. "You saw Doctor G. last week." "I've seen him lots of times. He wanted me back this week."
"And you've also seen Doctor R."
"Yes. He operated on me."
She left the room. After some time, she came back. "They made your appointment with Doctor K."
"What?"
By now, my appointment time was a golden memory of an hour and a half ago. I was standing there waiting for the appointments secretary, holding the card that clearly said I had an appointment with Doctor G.
In the end, I saw Doctor G. but did not get out until about 4:30. For a visit that took no longer than thirty minutes. Everything came out right, but not without a fuss.
Story of my life. One sure way to tell if you're on the wrong line in Shop Rite: I'm on it.
Different topic:
I promised to say more about "The Origin of Species."
I started reading it intermittently a few weeks back. It's slow going. The English is not only from another century, it's quite elegant and formal. But it's worth it. The people who think our ancestors rode on dinosaurs 6,000 years ago and that fossils were fakes made by God to test our faith will never read it. It's tough sledding. It's also very rewarding if you stick with it. Once you get a hold on his reasoning everything just follows smoothly. Writing before Mendel, before DNA, before anything approaching genetics, he's not afraid to say he doesn't know how characteristics are inherited, although he comes very close to figuring it out. How unlike the creationists, who are never stumped because they can always figure out how and even why God did it, even though the Bible is curiously silent on the details. He rounds up and deals with all the objections, the same tired and disproven ones creationists keep trotting out a century and a half later.
I was always broadly familiar with the theory of evolution, but now I can see for myself how brilliantly and thoroughly Darwin worked it out. Read it for yourself. If you haven't you're in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment